Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Please Recycle :D

It's pretty amazing what you can do with found materials. Although you may think, "cardboard is everywhere! I have some in my garage and some under my bed!, why do you need to go search for it?". I was looking for LARGE pieces of cardboard....like refrigerator-sized pieces. I could PAY for the boxes, but cardboard is one of those things in life (or at least in the US, that you don't need to pay for...like water).

Anyways, I started this project based on a couple things...I am not allowed to BUY anything and it needs to serve more than ONE purpose.

Frank Gehry did something like this, although he has fancy schmany tools and interns. I had a box cutter and a sander.

The overall schematics took about a week and a did a few study models (~ 12) which helped me figure out some of the construction details. Finally, the overall development took about 2 weeks to complete...and for those who know about sanding down cardboard, you know that it just stays in the air, so I was breathing cardboard for two weeks.

Tested, redesigned, tested, redesigned, tested, decided I needed to stop. That's how it went for several days. I am never truly "done" with my design, but I gave myself a time-frame and decided that the project needed to finish...so in the end, I came out with a finished upright chair and stool that you can lean back in. I'm happy with it. What do you think?





https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10100578797227543.2814620.3230143&type=3&l=4cf8a77fc0


www.elegantdesign.co


No comments:

Post a Comment